Advance Directives

You have the right to make decisions about your own medical treatment. These decisions become more difficult if, due to illness or a change in mental condition, you are unable to tell your doctor and loved ones what kind of health care treatments you want. It is important for you to make your wishes known in advance. 

MyDirectives is free, easy and always available. Emergencies can happen at any time, leaving you too injured or ill to communicate decisions about your medical treatment. MyDirectives helps you create your own emergency medical care plan for your family and doctors so they can make decisions on your behalf. Learn more at

Here is a brief description of each kind of directive:

Living will
A set of instructions documenting your wishes about life-sustaining medical care. It is used if you become terminally ill, incapacitated or unable to communicate or make decisions. A living will protects your rights to accept or refuse medical care and removes the burden for making decisions from your family, friends and medical professionals.

Health care proxy
A person (agent) you appoint to make your medical decisions if you are unable to do so. Choose someone you know well and trust to represent your preferences. Be sure to discuss this with the person before naming them as your agent. Remember that an agent may have to use their judgment in the event of a medical decision for which your wishes aren’t known.

Durable power of attorney
For healthcare: This is a legal document that names your health care proxy. Once it is written, it should be signed, dated, witnessed, notarized, copied and put into your medical record.
For finances: You may also want to appoint someone to manage your financial affairs when you cannot. A durable power of attorney for finances is a separate legal document from the durable power of attorney for health care. You may choose the same person for both or choose different people to represent you.

What are advance directives?
A living will, health care proxy and durable power of attorney are the legal documents that allow you to give direction to medical personnel, family and friends concerning your future care when you cannot speak for yourself. You do not need a lawyer in order to complete advance directives.

For more information about advance directives or to obtain forms, please ask your nurse to contact the social services department or call (432) 221-5214.