December 17, 2013
Midland Memorial Hospital’s pledge for over 60 years has been to deliver quality healthcare to the residents of Midland County and the Permian Basin. This month, the hospital furthered that commitment by adopting cutting edge technology to clean hospital rooms.
The V-360+ UV Room Sanitizer from UltraViolet Devices, Inc. (UVDI) is now deployed to provide superior surface disinfection in patient rooms, operating rooms and other areas of the hospital. The V-360+ in use at MMH is a mobile ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) device utilized by environmental services staff to disinfect hospital rooms after cleaning. It generates high intensity UV energy and quickly disinfects surfaces contaminated with viruses, bacteria and fungi, including superbugs such as MRSA and C. difficile.
Midland Memorial is currently treating confirmed cases for Flu A & B. The Urgent Care Center, located at 4214 Andrews Highway in Midland, is open on holidays and weekends and offers the flu vaccine. If you or a family member is suffering from flu-like symptoms such as fever greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, cough, sore throat or nausea and vomiting, especially in children, please consider the following:
· Remember to wash your hands frequently!
· Cover your coughs and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, NOT your hands
· Disinfect surfaces at work and home, including your phone & keyboards
· Use social distancing (two arms length) away from others for those coughing or sneezing
· Avoid crowds and shop at off hours
It is not suggested you visit the ER unless you’re experiencing complications associated with pneumonia such as:
· If at any time or in the next 24 hours symptoms worsen, esp. shortness of breath more than usual OR
· If younger than 5 years of age with fast or trouble breathing, bluish/gray color of skin, not drinking enough fluids, severe or persistent vomiting, too restless to be held, not waking up or interacting, or flu symptoms improve but then return with fever or worse cough.
· If older than 64 years of age with health conditions, i.e. compromised immune system, HIV, Diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, Asthma, COPD, renal disease, Sickle Cell, liver disease or morbidly obese.
Don’t forget about 68NURSE. Using the program is as simple as picking up the telephone; it is free and available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. MMH nurses are available to help determine the best place to receive care for your situation. Call 68NURSE or (855) 686-8773 any time you need guidance on medical attention. 68NURSE can help you save time and money by directing you to the most appropriate healthcare option. Best of all, it’s FREE.
If you are interesting in viewing a demonstration of the new V-360+ machine, please contact Heidi Winkler.
Marketing and Media Relations