JOB SUMMARY: The primary responsibility of the Plant Operator is to provide operational reliability of the facility and central utility plant. Assigned responsibility for various operating engineer and support functions in mechanical rooms for public areas of the hospital facilities. This position is subject to working alone or with other personnel. Typical work processes include manual or automatic control of 350HP boilers, 350 to 1000 ton chillers, Fire Alarm, HVAC systems and medical gas or other hospital support systems.
This includes but is not limited to the inspection, troubleshooting, repair, demolition, and installation of piping and related equipment. Maintaining tools and other equipment required to perform essential duties will be maintained. Must be able to effectively communicate with medical staff, patients, families, and the general public.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
· Observes operation of and makes adjustments in operating controls of all mechanical systems in accordance with department policy and procedures.
· Performs required testing and inspection of systems, controls, fire alarm systems, and all critical equipment.
- Completes Preventive Maintenance Work Orders
- Ability to read blueprints
- Ability of making appropriate decisions and exercising independent judgment.
o Makes inspection rounds of facilities and performs required repairs, calibrations and preventive maintenance or reports problems to Facilities Services as necessary.
o Maintains proper level of chemical treatment in heating, cooling, waste disposal systems.
· Responds to patient room or office trouble calls as required.
· Maintains current knowledge of systems used in job.
· Provides accurate, timely and complete documentation of work performed.
· Provides a safe environment for patients, guests and staff.
· Responds to trouble calls in a timely manner.
· Maintains an accurate knowledge of building systems, including but not limited to a basic knowledge of plumbing, HVAC, and central utility plant repair functions.
· Completes Work Request Orders in a timely manner.
· Manages complaints properly.
· May be required to work other than scheduled hours.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Mental development equivalent to completion of High School Diploma and capable of solving practical problems with a variety of variables.
· Requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret work orders, manufacturers’ data and various Hospital or departmental manuals.
· Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and schematics.
· Ability to read information on various documents, parts, supplies, containers, equipment control displays and computer displays.
· Ability to perform basic arithmetic including that needed to process purchase orders, perform basic statistical analysis, producing reports related to utility consumption, work order volumes, and other departmental activities.
· At least 3 years of commercial or industrial plant operation experience.