JOB SUMMARY: The surgical technologist serves as an integral part of the team of medical practitioners providing surgical care to patients. Surgical technologists work under the supervision of a circulating RN and/or physician to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
· Ability to assess, project and plan for procedural needs
· Possess expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique.
· Combine the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician's performance of safe patient outcomes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Completion of an accredited surgical technology program required
· Certification in specialty preferred; certification required within one (1) year of employment
· Experience in women’s services preferred
· BLS required upon hire
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual must be able to:
Ø Stand, walk, sit, stoop, reach, lift, see, speak and hear. Lifting is limited to 35 lbs. for clinical staff and to 50 lbs. for non-clinical staff. The individual must use an assisted-lift device or get another individual(s) to assist with the lift that is over these maximum limits.
No supervision of others required