Under the supervision of the designated Section Manager/Supervisor, performs clinical laboratory procedures, quality assurance, and instrument calibration and maintenance.
The position reports to the appropriate Section Manager/Supervisor. The Senior Clinical Laboratory Scientist also maintains cooperative working relationships with intradepartmental and interdepartmental personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
- Performs routine and special laboratory tests within the different laboratory departments as specified in the CLS II job description.
- Assists in review and perform all quality control and instrument maintenance per SOP
- Coordinate and participate in proficiency testing
- Provides in-service training to other laboratory personnel and students within a designated area.
- Provides instruction in laboratory bench procedures, instrument/clinical troubleshooting techniques, and clinical application of test results.
- Assures assimilation of procedures and evaluates troubleshooting techniques. Documents by department standards.
- Assists the department manager in establishing educational programs that will meet the needs of new employees and students.
- Assists and conducts in-service classes for other laboratory personnel under the guidance of the department manager.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development.
- Coordinate evaluation and implementation of new procedures and methodologies
- Responsible for particular areas and/or instruments within the section
- Coordinate troubleshooting of instruments
- Revise procedure manuals
- Function as section “Charge” person as needed
Salaries are calculated upon applicable experience
· Bachelor’s degree
· Must show documentation of successful completion of a Medical Technology / Clinical Laboratory Science training program. (if CLS/CLT)
· Promotion by authority of the Department Manager based on performance and not experience.
· Must provide documentation of passing a National Certification exam (American Society Clinical Pathology, National Credentialing Agency, etc.)